1. Dirt Road: We know that's where you "supposedly" grew up, but let's face it, not all of you grew up in the country. Some of you grew up in subdivisions. No one ever writes a country song about the brick streets of Uptown lined with antiques shops, salons and deli's.
2. Red Neck/Hillbillies: I don't know why these two terms get under my skin so much, but they do. Stop using these terms. Deal? Ok, good!
3. Beverages: Do we really need so many songs about partying and drinking? I think Garth set the bar pretty high with "Friends in Low Places" and I don't think anyone else's attempts have come anywhere close. There's a new song out that basically says, I'm at a bar and I'm not going to go home alone tonight...you know the one, the dude basically takes a selfie with a girl he just met and sends it to his ex so she'll be jealous. Friends, let me tell you, if you're ex sends you a text in the middle of the night with that caption...you dodged a bullet, plain and simple.
4. Trucks: I get it, boys love their trucks, but stop. We don't need anymore songs written about your truck. We have a Honda that we love...#1, it's reliable. #2, it's paid for and #3 it's a perfect first car for my teenage daughter. A true song writer should be able to write a song about a a variety of different automobiles, including a Honda...and no, "Your girlfriend rolls a Honda" does not count.
5. Speaking of trucks...The Weekend: We get it, on the weekends you like to get "rowdy," but we don't need to keep rehashing it. Let's face it, if half of these men in their mid 40's were really spending their weekends sitting on the tailgate of their truck in a pasture somewhere partying, you'd be worried. But, heartthrob Luke Bryan does it, and it's perfectly acceptable. It's weird. Shouldn't he be at a T-Ball game or something?
6. Gurl (Aka Girl): I'm not a Women's Lib activist at all, like, open the door for me, let me stay home and raise kids, and your pot roast will be on the table at 5:30, BUT please stop talking about these Gurls (girls, daughters, moms, women) like a piece of meat. Please never tell a girl to "shake it for me!" Gross. Ok, that's all on that topic.
7. Sad Songs: There are some good sad songs out there, but I will change the station every, single time. A classic like, George Strait's "Baby Blue" can come on my radio and I will change it. There's enough sadness in the world, I don't need it on my radio. When I'm Queen of the World, only happy songs will be produced.
8. Dogs: I love my dog, I do, but most dog songs turn into sad songs...see #7.
9. Money Maker: I'll be honest, I'm not sure I even know what they're talking about when they refer to a money maker (see #6, boys), but I think it's safe to say most people could not actually earn money with their money maker...so moving on.
10. High School/Hometown: I will be the first to admit I loved my high school years and my hometown, but let's move on. Not, literally, if you still live in the town you went to school in, that's awesome...there are many times I wished I still lived in my picturesque hometown, but let's move on from that first love, hometown, you've changed stuff. Yes, she's changed, she's not seventeen anymore.
So, I read this list to my husband and he would like me to add that he strongly disagrees with me. He has bad taste in music...but great taste in women! Would you like to know a few new artist that I love? Prophets & Outlaws is one of my "local" favorites, as well as Zane Williams. They are both great performers. If you have the chance to see them live, I would highly recommend it.
I'm linking up with Karli for 10 on Tuesday and Beth for Tuesday Talk. Check them out, too!
Have a Terrific Tuesday!