Wednesday, April 27, 2016

WalMart Grocery Pickup: My Official Review

I could not stop talking about WalMart's new grocery pickup service to my family and friends, so I thought I owed it a blog post of it's very own.  This was huge!  Life changing!  I am never going back to regular grocery shopping again!  If you haven't tried it, let me explain how it works.

First, I logged into my WalMart Grocery account.  It asked me what location and what time I wanted to pick up.  I was doing this on a Saturday afternoon at 1:00 and thought it might be Monday before I could find an opening, but was surprised to see they had openings as early as 9:00 the next morning.  I opted to pick up my groceries between 3:00-4:00 Sunday afternoon.  Then, I started shopping.  I typed in what I wanted and it immediately appeared.  I took a screenshot below of what the screen looks like.  I typed in a variety of products to see what all you could purchase and it looks like most products are available, including food, school supplies, over the counter medicines, beauty supplies, clothing and even toys.


After I placed my order, I was told I had until 1:00 AM to make changes to my order.  I entered my payment info and logged out.  Pretty easy!

I am going to address a few of the ordering pro's and con's before moving on.

Let's get the bad news out of the way, first:

When ordering produce, there were a few items that I had to order a pound of.  For example, I only needed 2 poblano peppers, but had to order a pound.  They weren't that much money, but now I'm stuck with eight extra poblano peppers.  On the flip side, I only needed two limes, and limes are in fact measured by quantity, not poundage (I'm not sure that's a word), so I guess it depends on what type of produce you are ordering.  

The only other downside to the ordering process, was the fact that I could not read the product's labels.  I watch my carbs and sugar.  I was going to try a new spaghetti sauce, but was not able to read the label to see how many grams of sugar it contains, so I stuck with my old trusty.  I could of opened a new tab and googled that product and read the label, but it would have been convenient just to have it directly on the WalMart site.

The Pro's of ordering though the site:

They're pretty smart...you could spell yogurt, ygurto and they figure out what you're talking about!  I also found I spent less because there were fewer impulse buys (aka tank tops and nail polishes...this could also be listed under the negatives.) Also, you don't get stuck behind an old lady pushing a cart slower than a snail.  My ordering standards are obviously low.  This is going to work for me!

The ordering process took about 45 minutes, which is way less time than I spend meandering around that big store.  My next order will be even faster because WalMart saves your previous purchases under favorites.  If you are like me, you tend to buy the same things for lunch and breakfast, so these will be faster to get through next time.  

The day of the pickup, WalMart called me promptly at 3:00 to tell me my order was ready...which meant I had to pry myself out of Ross where I was buying shoes and sunglasses wasting time.  When I placed my order the website showed me where to park for pickup.  There were ten or so spots reserved along the side of the building for pick up with the phone number to call when I arrived.  I called the number, told them my name and my groceries were promptly delivered and loaded, YES, LOADED into my car.  He also handed me my bread and eggs for safe keeping.  

The friendly WalMart employee gave me a welcome gift and explained to me how the process works.  There were three items the store was out of, in my case they were all produce items, so no substitutions were made (and I wasn't charged for those items).  But, the associate explained they do have a substitution process that works for other goods.  In fact, if needed, WalMart will substitute with a similar product and not charge you any difference in price.  I think I left off the best part of this service...it is FREE!  

Here's my welcoming gift...


On a side note, if you are not using the WalMart Savings Catcher...sign up for that, too.  All you have to do is scan the bottom of your receipt each time you shop at WalMart.  I have linked the info for you, but basically, if you buy yogurt for $1.00 at WalMart, and your neighborhood Target has the same yogurt on sale for $.75, then you get $.25 deposited into your Savings Catcher account.  Since I started using Savings Catcher in 2014, we have accumulated approximately $250 into our Savings Catcher account.  We usually use this right before Christmas and order the kids a few toys.  Free money, friends!

Back to the grocery pickup, I honestly can't think of anything to make it any easier.  I will definitely be using the grocery pick up again and again.  And, will this girl be tagging along on my future grocery store runs?  Of course she will.  There's a Bahama Bucks right next to WalMart.  Win, win!


I never thought I would be this excited about grocery shopping!

Have you used the grocery pick up at WalMart yet?  If not, what are you waiting for?  To get you started, click here for $10 off of your first grocery pick up order!  Thanks, WalMart!

Emily 



47 comments:

  1. Wait whaaat? It's free? This is definitely something I need to look into. My shopping trips are good for me to get out of the house I think but this is super convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free!! You can still roam around Trader Joe's for your specialty items & then go pick up your necessities at WalMart.

      Delete
  2. I so wish we had this available where I live. I know I would use it! I am not a fan of the grocery store so this would be ideal. Maybe one day it will be available around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a time and energy saver! Walmart zaps all my energy every time! Keep checking, maybe it'll be available soon.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE WALMART PICKUP!!! The Wal-Mart that is less than 5 minutes from my house opened pickup today. So now I don't have to drive 15 minutes - LOL! I totally agree with you - I do save more money and don't pickup random items that I don't need!. Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're opening more & more it seems! I drove 20 miles to do it, but it was worth it!

      Delete
  4. Love that pic of you and your daughter, Emily. Unfortunately, the closest full service Walmart is about 15 miles from us. I so miss the convenience factor in TX. I think it is a great idea, though. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! I'm sure we do take the conveniences for granted here.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! The technology these days! If our Walmart offered this I might actually 'shop' there but I'll definitely always be a Publix girl at heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shopped at Publix last summer while in Destin. It was really nice! Their sushi was great, too!

      Delete
  6. Our walmart doesn't have this service quite yet, but one of our local grocery stores does, and I have tried and loved it!!! Hopefully Walmart here will pick up on this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge time saver! Plus, it meant not having to drag kids into a grocery store. I always end up buying bubbles, a toy, or a movie just as a bribe to get them to cooperate.

      Delete
  7. Okay, whoa! This is awesome. I get up early on Sunday mornings before church and do my grocery/Walmart trip! I wonder if our Walmart offers this since we are a pretty small(ish) town! And I need to get that app as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not, it may be worth the drive to the next big town. I drove 20 miles to do it, but it still saved me time in the long run!

      Delete
  8. Emily- I hope my Walmart is offering this service because this has me ready to change my shopping style! Sold at FREE and gifts lol!!!!! Xo sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sold, too! I'm curious if they give everyone the same gift or if they cater it to what they think you'll like. You'll have to let me know what you get if you do it.

      Delete
  9. I have been very curious how this works, but have yet to really look into it. I think the idea is genius. Maybe I would do less in-store impulse buys?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do "suggest" items, but my impulse buys totaled $1.88 this week...instead of the normal $40 impulse buys. Oops! Let me know if you try it.

      Delete
  10. How awesome is that?!? I know our local Sam's Club offers this, but I never thought to check at our local Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your busy schedule, you should definitely check it out. It was awesome!!

      Delete
  11. A number of stores in my area do this, but I need the exercise of walking around. lol I am glad you gave it such a good review though, if I ever need it I know it works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are times I might still go back to shopping the normal way just to escape the house for a little while.

      Delete
  12. OMG, I wish this was in my town! Like seriously. Thanks for the heads up I will be watching for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! On their website you can enter your zip code & they'll show the closest locations to you.

      Delete
  13. I am so so jealous that you have this option. I keep praying it will happen in our area. Love me some Walmart Savings Catcher, but did you know they will not price match drugstores in the app anymore (Walgrees, CVS Pharmacy, etc.) You can still price match to those stores at Walmart, but the app won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I didn't know that. I'm surprised you don't have it in your area yet. Maybe soon!

      Delete
  14. Oh my, I wasn't even aware of this service. I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be sold! It beats roaming the aisles of Walmart on a beautiful spring day when you'd rather be anywhere else!

      Delete
  15. Um WHAT?! How is this free?! Okay yes, doing this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? The best things in life are free! ;)

      Delete
  16. Our local grocery store does this too and has been for awhile now. When I broke my foot last summer it was fabulous to do it online and then pick up without stressing my foot in the boot any further. Now our local CVS is on board and doing it. I think it will become more widespread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just telling my husband how beneficial this would be for people that are hurt or sick, too! That's awesome that your CVS does it, too.

      Delete
  17. Your post received most viewed from Party at My Place this week. I'll be featuring you there on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!
    It was not only late, it was super late. The order was supposed to be delivered in between 4-6 pm on Friday, On calling the customer service after 6 pm to ask about the status, she didn't had any clue what's going on and no idea about how long do I have to wait. I waited till 7:30 and then went for movie because I had plan previously. Next day in the morning I called back again the customer service, they said we can deliver you the groceries by 1:30 ish and then again I received a call from the nearest groceries manager who is calling me at 1 that our truck haven't left yet and don't know how long is it going to take them to leave the store. All the time they kept forcing me to cancel the order. I don't understand why they take the orders if they cannot fulfil. Moreover, they charge $9 for delivery and still don't deliver it. I don't think walmart care about their customer's time value. This whole grocery delivery by walmart is the worst experience I ever had.
    Customer Service Agent didn't knew anything, she just processed the refund for the delivery charges because my order was not delivered on time. Other than that, she couldn't answer me one simple thing when I asked that give me a time or time frame when the groceries will be delivered. And she didn't knew it, she wasn't confident at all. All she did is gave me the contact detail of the manager of store who is responsible for the deliver truck and even he responded me the same way as the customer service agent and didn't had any clue when the groceries are going to deliver.
    Also, they call you a liar. Customer service agent told me that driver called me and I didn't picked the call but in reality I never got any call or have any voice message. I am really angry because they called me a liar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks!! I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've used the Walmart pickup at two different locations and noticed better service at one, so you might try a different location, if you have one near you. The first time I ever used their service, the employee showed me the customer service phone number and told me to call if anything was wrong. He said since it's a new service they were honestly interested in hearing how they did.
      The longest I've ever waited has been like 10 minutes. And I've never had to pay, so you definitely want to let customer service know about that. It's advertised here as free.
      When I picked up my groceries last weekend the employee told me they were slammed. I'm sure the more people know about the service, the busier it will get. I definitely recommend calling (or emailing) about your experience. They definitely need to know it wasn't handled correctly.
      Thanks for sharing your experience here. I'm all about an honest review!

      Delete
  19. I just put in my first order to pick up tomorrow. I've never used a service like this before. Do you know if tipping is customary and if so, what would you tip for a service like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! I've never even thought about that...and now I feel bad I've never considered it. I know I've tried to tip the people that carry out my groceries at local grocery stores and they weren't allowed to accept. You might just ask. I'll ask next time I go, too!

      Delete
  20. Tips are not accepted.. If you are satisfied with the service then take the survey and mention what a good job that we did with your order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I will definitely complete the survey and brag on the fabulous lady that always delivers my groceries. Thanks for the reminder. It's sad that we often think of completing surveys when we've had a bad experience, and forget we can also use them for good service! Thanks again for the reminder. Have a great day!

      Delete
  21. Have you been able to use your savings catcher with your grocery pickup orders? I have heard you aren't able to which is a bummer but would love to know what your experience has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been able to use savings catcher every time. I wonder if someone thought that because they don't give you a "regular" receipt with the barcode to scan? Right after I pickup my groceries, I receive a confirmation email from Walmart. At the very top of the email, maybe the first or second line, there's a TC# for savings catcher. I just copy that & paste it into the savings catcher system.
      Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  22. Glad I ran into this blog story! Pickup started in our local store a 3 weeks ago!! I too, will never grocery shop another way. But... I really wanted to say THANKS!!! I was bummed about the savings catcher issue. I never even noticed the number was on the emailed receipt. You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I'm glad I could help. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  23. Not happy at all!!!! Waited 30 minutes just to get one item!!!😠😠😠😠😠 took them 10 minutes just to answer my page in. Worse service. This is y i hate coming to walmart. Service sucks. Its suppose to be faster but it just made me wait and i had things to do. Not happy at all

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this would be great for budgeting. Even if the service isn't near you you could input all your groceries and get an idea of how much you will be spending.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Are they allowed to accept tips?

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.