Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Best Mother's Day Gift I Have Ever Received

Today I am linking up with Shelly over at The Queen in Between for her new linkup Spiel the Beans with the Queens.  Shelly has become one of my favorite blogs to read!  She is a fun southern girl from my home state of Texas, with a love for baseball and family (not necessarily in that order).  With Mother's Day right around the corner, today I will be discussing the best Mother's Day gift I have ever received.

First off, anything my children have ever hand made me for Mother's Day is my favorite.  Over the years Kendall has come up with some sweet gifts.  Jess and Jentry are just starting to enter into that stage of homemade gifts and I absolutely love it.  But, today I am going to share a little about what the hubby has given me for helping bring his little delights into this world.

One of my favorite books is The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  If you haven't read it definitely grab (or download) a copy.  It is so insightful in dealing with people.  It basically breaks down the five love languages people speak.  They are Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time and Physical Touch.  Basically people act in the love language that they want to receive love in.  In other words, I love gifts, so I stress and stress over buying someone something just right because I love the joy of giving someone a gift...and I love the thrill of receiving a gift.  Unfortunately, my husband DOES not speak the gift giving language that I do, but he is learning.  I guess after a few failed years of giving me cookie sheets (because I love to cook) and a Barry Manilow CD (because he got confused and thought it was Rod Steward), he has seen me disappointed a few times and has stepped it up over the last few years.

I know, what you're thinking...I'm greedy.  Well, no, this is my love language.  In Mark's defense, he doesn't have to build me up with words, spend time with me, do anything for me, or touch.  Just leave the gifts on the night stand and no one gets hurt...

Here's the thing; when it comes to gifts, I like experiences.  So, I guess I am part receiving gifts, part quality time.  Stuff is fine, but I really want to see and do.  Mark has surprised me with Ranger tickets a few times.  One year for Christmas he bought me season tickets to Dallas Summer Musicals (which actually are not in the summer), where I got to see Catch Me If You Can, Mary Poppins, Flashdance and Wicked.  One year for Valentines, he surprised me with tickets to see the Beatles tribute band Rain, which I loved!  But, the very best Mother's Day gift I ever received was...wait for it...this may come as a shock...tickets to see Rod Stewart!  I LOVE Rod Stewart and was over the moon at the chance to get to see him live!  I know what you are thinking, and yes, we were the youngest people there.  The good news is old people don't stand for concerts, so unlike many concerts that I have been to, you just sit calmly and let the musician do his thing.  Perfect!

(Look even his back ground singers and musicians are sitting down)

Not every gift has to be over the top of expensive.  My advice to you when trying to pick out a gift, is to determine their love language.  In honor of Mother's Day, I came up with a few ideas for each love language.  

Words of Affirmation:  One of my favorite gifts Kendall made me when she was younger was a little box full of things she loved about me.  There was a little tag on it telling me to read one of the little notes whenever I was having a bad day.  It is still on my dresser today.  Mom's also love handwritten notes.  Just a simple, sweet note of appreciation goes a long way.  

Acts of Service:  Basically Mom's want a break from the routine.  Mom's would love to have the cars cleaned out and vacuumed, dinner cooked, the house cleaned, or any other chore done you know Mom dreads.  A coupon book is also a great idea.

Receiving Gifts:  When I receive a gift, I like it to be something I would not ordinarily buy myself.  A few of my favorite things to receive are Philosophy and Kendra Scott.  

Quality Time:  Mom wants to spend time with her tribe.  Think of something the whole family can enjoy.  It could be something as small as movie tickets, or as big as a weekend getaway.  One of my favorite outings for our family was a trip to the Food Trucks in downtown Dallas.  Everyone got something different to eat, the kids played in the park, and Mark and I got to enjoy it together.  

 Physical Touch:  You aren't going to find many women that will turn down a pedicure or massage.  A gift certificate to a spa would be the perfect gift for mom.  Or maybe she would just enjoy a nice evening in, watching movies and cuddling on the couch.  

There you have it; a few gift ideas from me.  Be sure to check out Shelly's blog to see what other Mom's are saying today! I'm also linking up with Beth for Tuesday Talk, as usual.






24 comments:

  1. Great tip! My husband and I have the same love language: quality time. It makes things super easy! I also suggest everyone find out their love language so their relationship can be stronger! xoxoxox Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It even helps to know your kids love language. It looks like you and your hubby got to spend lots of quality time together working in your "yard!" Hope you get to relax a little this weekend on Mother's Day.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow - I LOVE Rod Stewart - I blame my mother. She adores him and would love to see him live. We got to see Tony Bennett this week and I'm still on cloud nine! Thanks for linking up with me and Shelly - we are so excited about what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Tony Bennett would be good, too! I saw that a friend of mine in the College Station area was there last weekend, too. Thanks for hosting. I love a good writing prompt. Yes, I loved English class growing up. #nerd

      Delete
  3. I love this...and I was cracking up the whole way through! The love languages get us at our house..mine is definitely acts of service and my husbands is definitely touch..good golly after almost 15 years you would think he would understand doing a few little honey dos around the house leads to more cuddle time! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for linking! Katy & I appreciate it so much!!

    Shelly||The Queen in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Shelly! Thank you for hosting. I am looking forward to all of the fun topics in the future! Hope you have a great Mother's Day!

      Delete
  4. I recognize the name of the book and I've been wanting to read it. Thanks for the reminder! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I definitely recommend reading it. It is so insightful. I hope you have a great Mother's Day, too!

      Delete
  5. What a great post! I'll have to read that book. I'll have to show Dean this post he's the type of guy who waits until the last minute every. single. time. I can't wait until Mason starts making me things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacie! You are going to love those little handmade Mother's Day gifts. They are so precious. :)

      Delete
  6. I love the Five Love Languages book. Danny's love language is words of affirmation and physical touch and I am acts of service and physical touch - so at least we have one area covered. Hope you have a wonderful mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been telling my husband to read it for the past 11 years! It would make like so much more clear to him. Ha! I think he's started it a few times.

      Delete
  7. I'll need to look into that book! All I want this mother's day is to sleep LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is every mama's love language. Yes, definitely check the book out. It's a great read.

      Delete
  8. I think my love language is gifts too. I love that you saw Rod Stewart, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so good in concert. He definitely did not disappoint.

      Delete
  9. Emily... I think experiences are the way to go when it comes to family gifts. I remember seeing Gary on a talk show - maybe Oprah? Very impressive. Love that a young thing like you loves Rod Stewart. I'm sure he would be very flattered. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I was hoping Rod would notice me in the crowd and invite me to hang out after the concert, but it didn't happen. We had a blast, though! Definitely check out Gary's book. Very insightful!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love this!! And kinda love that you love Rod Stewart!! I will def be picking up as copy of this book!! Have a happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, you would love that book. He wrote one for kids, too. I haven't read it yet, but you could use it to analyze all of your students. Ha!

      Delete
  11. That is so funny about the back up singers at Rod Stewart! I agree that experiences are the best gift. Tickets to an event are always a welcome surprise. Clicking over from Shelly's linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Tonya! The backup singers were actually really entertaining (and gorgeous), I just caught them on a slow song, I guess.

      Delete
  12. I love that book too. I am always analyzing my kids trying to figure out what their REAL love language is. It seems to change from day to day or hour to hour really. Happy Hump Day friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that. I believe he wrote one directed to children, too. I haven't read it. I probably should though...these kiddos are hard to figure out sometimes.

      Delete

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.