Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Recipe Club: Z.S. Gratin

Today I am participating in one of my favorite linkups of the month; my pals Johannah and Heather's Recipe Club.  If you're looking for some new recipe ideas, be sure to check out this linkup!



I had originally planned a comfort food recipe for today, BUT seeing as it's currently 97 degrees here in Texas, I decided at the last minute to opt for something a little more light.  Call it an end of summer hoorah, if you will.  

I found this recipe via Pinterest on the website BudgetBytes a few months ago.  The original recipe calls for potatoes, but as most of you know I try to watch my carb intake...atleast during the week, so I modified it a tiny bit and came up with my own creation.  I thought about naming it Cheesy, Zucchini, Squash Gratin (even though it's not a true gratin), but that seemed a bit wordy, so I decided on Z.S. Gratin.  I think it sounds classy...like a law firm or something.  ;)


Here's what you need: a yellow onion, chopped garlic, 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, 1 medium zucchini, 1 medium yellow squash, 1 medium tomato, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, salt and pepper, 1 cup of shredded Italian blend cheese, 1 Tablespoon oregano.


Would now be a good time to tell you, if you told me a year ago that I would. not only like, but share a recipe containing squash, zucchini, onion and tomato I would freak?  Those are not some of my cherished favorites, but I decided a few years ago to clean up my act and start eating like an adult.  (Much to my Dad's dismay I still order my cheeseburgers, meat, cheese and mayo only, no veggies).  Adulting is hard, y'all!

First, saute the chopped onion (I only used about a third of an onion, but use however much you like), with the chopped garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until translucent.  I know that's not a great picture, but it's onion and garlic, what do you expect?


Once the onion and garlic are tender, distribute it evenly along the bottom of an 8x8 greased pan.


Next, chop the squash, zucchini and tomato into 1/4 of an inch slices.  Please note, a Roma tomato would be easier, but I totally forgot and bought a regular tomato, so I cut it into fourths.  


Then, stack them up in your casserole dish on top of the onion mixture.  Liberally sprinkle with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried thyme. 


Bake at 400 degrees COVERED WITH FOIL (picture provided for my visual learners) for 30 minutes.  


After the 30 minutes, sprinkle one cup of Italian Blend cheese on top, and bake UNCOVERED for another 15-20 minutes.  


When it comes out of the oven, marvel at the beauty, then sprinkle a little oregano or parsley on top.  


As my husband would say, "You can't make this stuff up..."


It's the perfect end of summer side dish!   


Enjoy!

Don't forget to stop by the linkup for more delicious ideas!

Emily 


16 comments:

  1. What a great side dish!! And the name is perfect, very classy =) Thank you for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Johannah! I thought about changing the name at the last minute, but went ahead and went with it! Ha!

      Delete
  2. That looks so good! I love the name;) I love zucchini and squash but dislike tomatoes...I know I am CRAZY! It's a texture thing!
    Thank you sharing and linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like tomatoes either, but when they're cooked I'm ok with them. You could totally leave them out though.

      Delete
  3. Texas needs to get the memo that tomorrow is the first day of fall and it most certainly should not feel like 104 degrees outside! Ugh! I am ready for soups, crockpot meals and all the comfort food! Not to mention sweaters, boots and all that jazz too! This dish looks and sounds good! I’d have to make it for myself though because Nate would never go for swapping veggies for carbs! ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I am soooo over the heat and summer clothes. It's really been ridiculous the past week. I actually think August was more tolerable. Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather soon!

      Delete
  4. This looks so fresh and good! I'm going to make it while the summer produce is still in season. :) The weather is ridiculous right now. I've heard that next week might cool down a little. Even the 80s would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take the 80's, absolutely!! It's been upper 90's and humid here all week. I'm sure it's even more muggy in your area! I am so looking forward to a brisk cool front! It'll give me the perfect excuse to try your chicken pot pie!

      Delete
  5. That looks crazy good! I need to make this before squash and zuccini are out of season which is going to be November if the heat doesn't let up! Sharing this on my FB page too, girl! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for sharing!! I just finished it off at lunch & it was even good leftover!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness this dish looks yummy!! I will have to try this recipe soon! I don't like tomatoes so I will probably omit that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could absolutely leave them out. I'm not a huge tomato fan either, but they're ok in this recipe. I figured I would pick them out, but they weren't too bad.

      Delete
  7. I love zucchini and yellow squash so much so talk about yummy!! Making this ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delish, Emily! I love squash! I think even I could make this recipe and I may surprise the Mister!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.