We tried to come up with a catchy title, but couldn't, so I present to you:
Top Ten Things I Did As A Teenager, But If I Did Now, People Would Think I Was Crazy...
10. Dress alike: Imagine calling up your friend, "Hey, what are you wearing to that PTA Meeting today? We should both wear our Ann Taylor sweaters." It would be weird, right? But, in high school, not so weird.
9. Listen to the same song over and over: The next time you're in the car with your friend, just keep hitting repeat on that Michael Buble CD and see if anyone thinks it's odd. Remember back in the day rewinding your Mariah Carey tape over and over until you had the words down perfectly...no one thought that was odd.
8. Invite your friends over to watch movies....laying on the floor: Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town, but our Saturday nights consisted of watching movies. We might cram sixteen people in one living room just to watch Billy Madison for the ninth time. We would never expect our friends now days to lay on the floor and watch a movie. At our age, someone would break a hip.
7. Pay for dinner in coins: If I had a dollar for every time my friends and I raided my dad's coin stash in high school and went to Pizza Hut to pay for our pizza in dimes....well, I wouldn't have had to pay for the pizza in coins. While I am still known to break out the change at Sonic, because who wants to use their debit card for $1.17, I would think my friends might give me the side eye if I paid for my Olive Garden dinner in quarters.
6. Cruising: Let me just say, we still cruise it's just different these days. Back in the day, we used a whole tank of gas to cruise the neighborhood over and over to see where everyone was and what was going on in Small Town, Texas. Now, my cruising happens the second Tuesday of the month around 9:00. You see, that's when Bunco ends...and I cruise by my own house over and over until my kids bedroom light is off. You see, Mama isn't going home from Bunco until she knows all her babies have been put to bed. Can I get an A-men, Bunco Friends? My, my, how cruising has changed.
5. Prank call: A prank call back in the day meant you were well-liked. Obviously, this was before caller ID and even cell phones. Can you even imagine, having the extra time now to prank call your friends? I can barely even remember to send Christmas cards to them!
4. Writing letters to your friends: Can you imagine how awkward it would be in the carpool line, if you held a perfectly folded letter out the window for your bestie that you had written her, and then signed LYLAS. Texting is just so much more efficient.
3. Borrowing clothes. My high school bestie and I shared clothes so much I have no idea how we knew what was actually our own. I can't imagine calling up my friend now and borrowing a T-Shirt, because honestly that was what we were borrowing in high school, not even cute stuff.
2. Toilet papering: I wasn't much of a TPer back in the day, but I think I did try it a time or two. And, like prank calling, it was usually the well-liked kids that got TPed the most. The next time you make a new friend, think how well it would go over if you covered their trees in cheap (because that was the hardest to clean up) toilet paper the next day. I don't think you'd be making a friend for life there.
1. Breaking up with boyfriends: OK, I hesitated to add this one, but it's a well known joke among my family and friends, so why not include it. I was notorious in my teen years for breaking up with my boyfriend every summer. I'm pretty sure the break-up speech went something like, "I don't think I can handle a relationship over the summer....I'm going to be really busy, with, umm, like church camps, family vacations...and ummm....I just really want to focus on hanging out with my friends this summer. But, hey, we can still, like, um, be friends, and maybe we can get back together in the fall" I am pretty sure my husband wouldn't go for the idea of having three months out of the year "off" from me every year. OK, who am I kidding, he would probably jump at that idea.
OK, there you have it Top Ten Things I Did As A Teenager, But If I Did Now People Would Think I Was Crazy! What's something you did as a teenager you wouldn't do now?
Are you into Top Ten Lists like me? If so, check out a few of my others...
Top Ten Best Things About Living In A Small Town
Top Ten Crazy Emilyisms
Top Ten Favorite Things at Trader Joe's
Top Ten Topics Country Music Has Covered No Less Than 7,894 Times & If I Never Hear These Words Again It Will Be Too Soon
Have a Terrific Tuesday!
I am linking up with Beth for Tuesday Talk.